- Upcoming seminar by Dr. Lucía Gálvez Bravo (Liverpool John Moores University): “Cross-continental comparison of foraging pits in semi-arid environments” - June 28th 2017, 11:30 a.m at UMIB
- PhD thesis defense rehearsal: Giulia Bastianelli, PhD student, Unidad Mixta de Investigación en Biodiversidad (UO,CSIC,PA):”Procesos ecológicos y evolutivos en poblaciones y comunidades de aves a lo largo de gradientes altitudinales” - June 26th, 2017, 11 a.m at UMIB
- Upcoming seminar: Giulia Bastianelli, PhD student, Unidad Mixta de Investigación en Biodiversidad (UO,CSIC,PA):”Species replacement along environmental gradients: interspecific aggressiveness vs segregation by habitat” - Date and time: Thursday 19th January, 12:00h. Place: Lunch room, Research building (5th floor), Mieres Campus.
- Upcoming seminar: Dr. Rosa Menéndez, Lecture in Ecology, University of Lancaster (UK). “Restauración del bosque tropical: cómo restablecer la biodiversidad y los procesos ecosistémicos” - 15th September, 12:00 p.m., Main Lecture Hall, Research Building, Campus of Mieres, Oviedo University
- Upcoming seminar: Sze-Wing Yiu, University of Hong-Kong. “Ecology of Wildlife Reintroduction: Habitat Selection of Reintroduced Lions and Behavioural Responses of Their Prey” - 16 August 13.00, Salon de Actos, Edificio de Invesigación, Mieres Species reintroduction is frequently used as a tool for the re-establishment of species into their former range and ecosystem restoration. In South Africa, the economic benefits of wildlife-based tourism have led to an increase in establishments of small private reserves, which frequently involves a reintroduction of large carnivores for conservation and tourist attraction. Post-release monitoring of the behaviour of the reintroduced animals and their interactions with the local species are critical for reintroduction success. Our project investigates the post-release movement and habitat selection of reintroduced lions (Panthera leo) in a newly established wildlife reserve. To assess the impacts of predator reintroductions on prey behaviour, we quantified predation risks using the habitat selection patterns of lions and compared the vigilance behaviour of Burchell’s zebra (Equus quagga burchelli) and blue wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus) under different level of risks following the conceptual framework of the “landscape of fear”. The study has advanced our understanding of the ecological dynamics behind species reintroduction and provided management implications for large carnivore reintroductions.
- 15/02/2016 Miguel Arenas Busto (University of Porto). Human Evolutionary Analysis based on Computer Simulations of Genetic Data - http://www.lne.es/caudal/2016/02/16/miguel-arenas-paleoliticos-dieron-genetica/1883632.html
- 14/05/2014 Brendan Wintle (University of Melbourne) Theoretical and empirical modelling for conservation ecology – cuentos desde el sur - Sorry, this entry is only available in European Spanish.
- 11/04/2014 José Vicente López Bao (UMIB) Environmental conflicts surrounding the implementation of sectoral policies: an example with free-ranging horse husbandry in NW Iberia -
- 28/03/2014 Juan Carlos Illera (UMIB) Lack of diversification in a macaronesian bird - Download
- 21/03/2014 Javier Pérez Tris (Complutense University, Madrid). Biogeography of host-parasite interactions and disease risk as a threat to biodiversity - Download
- 14/03/2014. Chikako Matsuba (UMIB) Single Nucleotide Polymorphism markers and their potential use in evolutionary studies -
- 28/02/2014 Urtzi Enríquez (UMIB) Incorporating phylogenies into comparative studies: the case of Western Mediterranean anurans - Download
- 14/02/2014 Paola Laiolo (UMIB) Plastic responses to temperature vs. local adaptation at the cold extreme of the climate gradient - Download
- 31/01/2014 Daniel García (UMIB) Biodiversidad y servicios ecosistémicos ante el Cambio Global: el caso de los frugívoros dispersores de semillas - Download
- 16/01/2014 Fred Dalerum Biodiversity considerations for prioritizing conservation actions; examples from large carnivore - Download