Position: ASSISTANT (PhD in Sociology).
Field: Sociology of Food Research Group.
Address: Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Sociología. Facultad de Economía y Empresa. Edificio Departamental, 2º Planta. Campus de El Cristo.
33006 Oviedo. Asturias (España).
Phone: (+34) 985 105 060
Hans van den Broek is Professor of Sociology at the University of Oviedo. His areas of research are: (1) Immigration, integration, and xenophobia (with special interest in Islamophobia in Europe and the rise of the radical populist right); (2) the socio-economic and political development of China; and (3) political and religious fundamentalisms.
At the University of Oviedo he teaches Sociology and Social Research Methods and Techniques. In the Master’s in Chinese Studies, at the University of the Basque Country, he teaches the module “Development of Business Strategies in China”. He has also taught the modules “Economics and Politics of China” and “International Politics” in various Master’s courses organized by the Asturias Business School.
Between 2007 and 2009 he was Coordinator of the programme “Immigrants and Ethnic Minorities Between Labour and Welfare” of the RECWOWE Network of Excellence (“Reconciling Work and Welfare in Europe”, European Commission, 6th Framework Programme).
He is currently participating in three research projects: he is a member of the Sociology of Food Research Group, researching changes in the eating patterns of immigrants as part of their process of integration in Spain; he is a collaborating researcher on the European research project “All Rights Reserved? Barriers Towards European Citizenship” (7th Framework Programme); and on the project “Towards a European Migration Model: The mobility of people according to their status in the EU” (R+D+I Programme, 2013–2016).
- Food and social structure
- Alimentación e Inmigración
- van den Broek, H. (2015). Labelling and Legitimization: justifying political violence in the Basque Country, Terrorism and Political Violence
- van den Broek, H. (2014). Una xenofobia ‘ilustrada’, Claves de Razón Práctica, No. 237, pp. pp. 78-87.
- van den Broek, H. (2010). Immigrants and Ethnic Minorities. European Country Cases and Debates. (con Simo Mannila, Vera Messing y Zsuzsanna Vidra). National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki (Finland)
- van den Broek, H. H. D. y Martín Méndez, V. (2007). Buenas prácticas de vincular el empleo y la productividad. El caso del grupo Arcelor. Consejo Económico y Social del Principado de Asturias
- van den Broek, H. (1997). Labour, Networks and Lifestyles – survival and succession strategies of farm households in the Basque Country. Wageningen University and Research Centre, 1997.