Position: ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (PhD in Political Science).
Field: Sociology of Food Research Group.
Address: Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Sociología. Facultad de Economía y Empresa. Edificio Departamental, 2º Planta. Campus de El Cristo.
33006 Oviedo. Asturias (España).
phone: (+34) 985 105 045
With a PhD in Political Science and Administration from the University of Santiago de Compostela, I have been researching for six years and teaching for fifteen. I have extensive teaching experience from several universities in Spain, France, and Mexico, and am currently a Doctoral Lecturer at the University of Oviedo. With the recent university reform, I teach Political Science in the Legal and Social Sciences degrees. Because of my research specialization I am involved in courses in Governance (Master’s Degree in Social Policies and Welfare) and in Gender and Human Rights on Society, Family, and Education (Master’s Degree in Teacher Training for Secondary Education [First and Second Cycles] and Professional Training); and in Doctoral Programmes (Organization and Management of Electoral Campaigns, Political and Social Marketing and Analysis and Management of States of Opinion). I have been a member of the RECWOWE “Reconciling Work and Welfare in Europe” Network of Excellence of the European Commission (6th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development) formed by an interdisciplinary team of European researchers and experts. I belong to the Sociology of Food Research Group (Campus of International Excellence) of the University of Oviedo, specifically as coordinator concerning Power, Politics, and Social Movements. I am also a member of the research groups on Democracy and Autonomous Regions (DASP) at Pablo de Olavide University and Gender and Politics at Santiago de Compostela University. I have done research residences at various universities and at the United Nations World Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Studying food governance at the FAO enabled me to engage in an exchange of knowledge and establish the necessary contacts to launch the research project Political Food Consumption: Citizenship, Activism, and Institutions. I am Director of the Chair of Global Food Governance and have been Coordinator of the Alianza contra el Hambre y la Malnutrición de España (ACHM-E; Spanish Alliance against Hunger and Malnutrition), sponsored by the FAO, IFAD, WFP, and Bioversity International Organization. My publications grow out of my research, most of which is supported by research funds obtained through public tenders. I have participated in about fifteen projects/contracts and was the lead researcher in two of them. In recent years, my research has focused on the civic and political behaviour of citizens, the analysis of the socio-economic effects of information and communication (ICT), political elites, political communication, and women’s political participation. I am the author and co-author of several scientific publications, including articles that are placed in the top quartile by the Government Information Quarterly. My research work has also been given awarda at a national level, through my co-authorship of the book Ciencia Política con perspectiva de género (Political Science with a Gender Perspective), which won the María Ángeles Durán National Award for Scientific Research in 2014. I have also published in Spanish journals such as Política y Sociedad, Comunicación y Sociedad (SCI) and Empiria. And finally, I have been part of the management team of the Sociology Department as Secretary.
- Consumo político alimentario: Ciudadanía, Activistas e Instituciones
Plan Nacional I+D+I Ref. CSO2016-76293-R
IP: Amparo Novo Vázquez
- Parlamentarios y Sociedad (2013-2015)
Plan Nacional I+D+I Ref. CSO2012-32564
IP: Xavier Coller Porta
- La elite política autonómica en la España democrática (1980-2005) (2009-2012)
CIS y Centros de Estudios Andaluces Ref. BSO2003-02596
- Álvarez González, Luis Ignacio; Cachero Martínez, Silvia; Novo Vázquez, Amaparo; Pascual Fernández, Primitiva; Sanzo Pérez, María José y Viejo Fernández, Nuria (coords.) (2020). Consumo socialmente responsable y gobernanza alimentaria. Casos prácticos docentes. Oviedo: Universidad de Oviedo
- Capítulo: La dimensión política de la alimentación. ¿Consumidores, activistas o ciudadanos?
- Novo Vázquez, Amparo y García-Espejo, Isabel (2021). “Boycotting and buycotting food: New forms of political activism in Spain”. British Food Journal, 123 (7): 2492-2505.
- Novo Vázquez, A. (2014). “Consumocracia”. El consumo político como forma de participación de la ciudadanía. Política y Sociedad, 51, Núm. 1,pp 121-146.
- Vicente, M.R. y Novo Vázquez, A. (2014). An empirical analysis of e-Participation. The role of social networks and e-government over citizens’ online engagement. Governement Information Quarterly, Vol. 31, Issue 3, pp. 379-387. (2/2)
- Novo Vázquez, A. y Vicente, M.R. (2014). Participo (online), luego existo. Un análisis de la participación social y política a través de Internet en España. Empiria. Revista de Metodología de Ciencias Sociales, Nº 28, mayo-agosto, pp. 13-34. (2/1)
- González, JJ. y Novo Vázquez, A. (2011). The Role of the Media in a Context of Polarization Politica. Comunicación y Sociedad, vol. XXIV, n. 2, 2011, pp.78-131. (2/2)
- Novo Vázquez, A.; Cobo Carrasco, M. y Gayoso Rico, L.(2011) La participación política de la mujer. Un estudio de caso. Revista de Sociología e Política, vol. 19, nº38, pp.187-203. (3/1)